Wittenberg-Zentrum für Globale Ethik
Doctoral Scholarships in the Doctoral Program "Ethics and Responsible Leadership in Business" (ERL)
The Wittenberg Center for Global Ethics (WCGE) hosts the Doctoral Program “Ethics and Responsible Leadership in Business” (ERL). For admissions in October 2018, the program will award up to six doctoral scholarships. Four of the fellowships are financed by The Karl Schlecht Foundation (KSG), and two are financed by the Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft (SDW).
We are looking for talented, motivated graduate students who have, preferably, already gained work experience (KSG scholarships) and/or are socially engaged (SDW scholarships). Their research interests should relate to responsible leadership in a global business context. In addition to providing the students with subject-specific qualifications, the program aims to embed students’ research into a broader theoretical and socio-political framework. An essential component of the program is a dialog platform, which connects the academic expertise of leading business ethics professors, the know-how of international corporations, and the perspectives of civil society actors. The program promotes research that is theoretically well-informed, as well as practically relevant. Promoted research offers feasible solutions for how to do business responsibly in globalized markets.
Topical Focus and Study Program
In our modern, global society, the responsibility of companies and their decision-makers is becoming more prevalent every day. However, corporations and their managers can only be expected to make a constructive contribution if they have the necessary leadership competences to build public trust and to maintain their corporate licenses to operate in the long-term.
Art der Förderung
Scholarships will be awarded after enrollment as a doctoral student at the respective university has been confirmed. The monthly stipend is 1,350.00 Euros (KSG & SDW scholarships) plus a research allowance (SDW scholarships). The scholarship can be granted for up to three years, depending on the progress of the dissertation projects and the completion of the requirements in the study and practical program, which will be assessed on an annual basis. It is expected that the dissertation projects be completed within the proposed three-year period. Further information can be found at http://www.ethicsinbusiness.eu.
We are currently accepting applications from candidates whose research proposals address problems of responsible business conduct either on the institutional, company, or individual level. Proposals should emphasize the practical relevance of the research idea and make a contribution to academic discourse, corporate practice, and public debate. In order to support the students with knowledge of specific concepts and methodologies, successful candidates will participate in a comprehensive study and field project program. The program is located in Lutherstadt Wittenberg. Living in cities within close distance (e.g., Berlin, Leipzig, Halle) is a prerequisite for admission to the program, ensuring that participation in seminars and regular intellectual exchange amongst students, professors, and WCGE staff is feasible.
Admission and Sponsoring
Applicants should familiarize themselves with the research interests of ERL faculty members and indicate ONE prospective supervisor in their admissions application:
- Prof. Dr. Ingo Pies, Chair of Economic Ethics, Martin-Luther-University, Halle-Wittenberg
- Prof. Dr. Philipp Schreck, Friede-Springer-Endowed Chair of Business Ethics and Management Accounting, Martin-Luther-University, Halle-Wittenberg
- Prof. Dr. Andreas Suchanek, Dr. Werner Jackstädt Chair of Economic and Business Ethics, HHL - Leipzig Graduate School of Management
Admissions Applications should include:
- a Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- a short exposé outlining a brief research idea (max. 5 pages), including the name of your prospective supervisor (see above).
- a letter of motivation (max. 2 pages).
- a letter of recommendation.
- a university diploma certifying that the conditions for obtaining a Ph.D. at the university of the prospective professor (including official transcript of records) have been met.
- if applicable, certificates of employment, certificates of field experience, and/or confirmation of voluntary work.
The program’s academic committee will, together with the scholarship donors, determine acceptance to the doctoral program.
Please send your application for admission per email, as one pdf file (max. 4MB) by March 25, 2018, to:
Doctoral Program “Ethics and Responsible Leadership in Business”
Wittenberg Center for Global Ethics
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany
Tel. +49 3491 5079-119
- Allgemeine Förderung (Lebenshaltungskosten)
- Ideelle Förderung
- Gesellschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften: Psychologie
- Rechts- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften: Ökonomie/Wirtschaftswissenschaften
- Rechts- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften: Wirtschaftsrecht
- Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaften, Kunst und Gestaltung: Philosophie